- A number of improvements have been made to the ribbon:
- The window can now be resized and now adds space between icons.
- Adding future windows to the ribbon now requires significantly less work.
- The following features have been added to the ‘Ribbon Setup’ interface:
- You can now reset your ribbon to the default icons or clear it in one go.
- Icons added to the bar are now removed from the selection area.
- Spacing has been improved for the ‘Ribbon Setup’ interface and the Options Menu. A section for window management has also been added to the latter.
- The spacing on the options menu (escape key) has been improved. A section for managing windows has also been added.
- Of the two windows labelled ‘Magic Abilities’, the main has been renamed ‘Magic Book’ and been given an icon to match.
- Melee and attack abilities now have separate icons (melee uses crossed swords).
- The ‘worn equipment’ icon has been changed to distinguish it from the ‘hero’ icon.
- The drawer icon has been replaced with a settings cog to make room.
- Alongside these changes, we’re also running tests on the tutorial. Half of new players will get the existing tutorial unchanged, while the other half will start with only the settings button on the ribbon, with the inventory, skills and worn equipment windows opened as they’re first seen. These players will also have the default set of buttons activated after the tutorial, where we hope to see players having a less confusing experience and, as a result, fewer players dropping out.
- We’ve been using some new tools to track which scripts are running in the client in certain situations. Using these, we've been able to identify unnecessary and/or expensive code, investigating what these scripts are doing and then optimising where we can.
- The benefits should affect everyone, but will be more noticeable on lower-end machines. Changes include:
- Client-side spoofing tries to predict what will happen and helps make the bank seem more responsive. When spam clicking to withdraw multiple items, this could get out of sync and cause a well-known ‘tab flickering’ bug. Changes have been made to reduce the likelihood of this error occurring.
- The way the icons are built when the bank is loaded has changed. This means items should no longer 'pop in' when scrolling through.
- The efficiency of individual scripts has been generally improved.
- Measure have been put in place to stop the interface from repositioning everything when no changes have been made to the inventory.
- In historical cases, and especially on first login, window positioning may have occurred several times. This should now only happen once.
- By deleting permanent interface components and only building them when required, almost 1,000 components no longer use memory constantly.
- Several scripts run every client frame, for purposes such as controlling animations. These run in the background even when you’re doing nothing, and we’ve made several changes:
- Overall, we’ve reduced the run-time of these passive scripts by almost 95%.
- Global transparency was using these scripts, and accounted for a large portion of this. We’ve changed the way it’s implemented, but unfortunately it means we can no longer use the current setting, so all transparency will be set to the default of 50% on login.
- Several features such as loading screens now stop running these scripts when turned off.
- Bugs have been fixed which allowed some of these scripts to keep running after they were meant to be finished.
- After detecting that the game is loading, there is now a half-second pause before triggering a loading screen, avoiding unnecessary loading screens such as when going through doors in barrows.
- The loading screen now has a disable button, saving new players from having to locate it in the settings menu.
- Unstable essence has become (slightly!) more stable. For example, it will now show as Runecrafting in the Make-X interface rather than Cooking.
- Perfect dragon scales (for Vannaka's Slayer challenge) no longer try and drop on non-member worlds.
- A large number of optimisations have been made to the toplevel interface.
- Various optimisations have been made to the bank interface.
- Members can now remove the Extras icon on the ribbon interface.
Listener Questions and Discussion
Question from Zant
So i've been playing RuneScape very sparingly since about late 2013, until recent holiday travels resulted in me listening to several episodes of RSBandBUpdate in the car during my travels. Ultimately, this may have resulted in my return to the game. My question for you all is what new content over the past year or two do you think has made a positive impact on the day to day way you play RuneScape (aside from the obvious stuff such as NXT). This can be larger updates, or even smaller quality of life fixes that you think are good for a returning player to know about. There have been a lot of content updates that i've missed out on during my break, and i'm trying my best to catch up and stay in the know about what's good to try out as far as new content.
Also, are any of you all tea drinkers? If so what kind of tea is your favorite?
I'm thrilled to be playing RS again, and RSBandB has always made me feel welcome as a part of the community.
All the best,
If you want to send in a question, email firstname.lastname@example.org, call or text 571-57-BANDB (571-572-2632), or leave us a DM on Twitter.
- A_seafarer - 99 Invention, November 29, 2017
- Scy - 99 Fishing, November 28, 2017
- Pyrnassius - 120 Slayer, November 27, 2017
- Trips_travis - 99 Hitpoints, November 27, 2017
- Ptv_suli - 99 Hunter, November 27, 2017
- Choto_3000 - 99 Agility, November 27, 2017
- Mskonnan10 - 99 Fletching, November 26, 2017
- Xbladez - 120 Slayer, November 26, 2017
- Cyan_r - 99 Agility, November 26, 2017
- Questcaping - 99 Ranged, November 26, 2017
- Sirbluwaffle - 99 Magic, November 25, 2017
- Kotahi_atua - 99 Agility, November 25, 2017
- Karen_angel - 99 Slayer, November 24, 2017
- Choto_3000 - 99 Magic, November 24, 2017
- Tohtli - 120 Invention, November 24, 2017
- Choto_3000 - 99 Divination, November 24, 2017
- Sira’s Pick: http://www.cwtv.com/shows/crisis-on-earth-x
- What have we been doing?
- Episode Title: A Hint of Orange
- Teaser: A quest overview of Evil Dave’s Big Day Out and the debate of bottle quests vs epic story quests. Also, the ribbon gains customization abilities but how does it fit in overall with the RuneScape interface. And the combat winter weekend is upon us.
- Recorded Date: November 30, 2017
- Release Date: December 1, 2017
- Hosts: Shane, Cireon, and Sirapyro
- Duration: 2:10:26
- Editing Notes: None