- Jagex has been deep in discussion as a team and has been listening to feedback about Menaphos, Achievements, and a few other updates.
- Focus on Menaphos and the determination to have it ready for release at a specific time has lead to a neglect of the wider game.
- Many liked or loved Menaphos but “it’s fair to say that it’s had its problems.”
- “We underestimated how much of our focus it would take up, and we’ve neglected other updates as a result.”
- “It’s clear that regular updates is something that makes RuneScape RuneScape. The game feels less alive without them”
- All development on future expansions has been suspended.
- Double the number of developers and testers on the Ninja Team.
- Polls: “while they’re flawed, they work… polls are coming back in a big way. The plan is that we poll as many of our updates, fixes, or improvements as we can.”
- Unfinished Business: For the forseeable futures, the Eternals and Titans will be delivering the updates that have been promised in the past. They will be finishing updates that feel unfinished and improving the core of the game. Thank area reworks rather than new areas, and continuations of old questlines rather than new ones.
- Achievements and Invention Batch 2 are two of these updates.
- 10 Updates that Jagex is actively working on or researching:
- Bank Rework
- Mining and Smithing
- Clue Scroll Overhaul
- Dailyscape reductions
- Invention Batch 2
- Achievement System finishing
- Evil Dave Quest
- Graphical Reworks, including Seers' Village and Witch's House
- Combat Pets
- Shattered World improvements, to make it more rewarding and varied
- The first progress report will be issued on the 28th of July and regularly thereafter.
- Tuesday July 11th will see The Big RuneScape Survey
- Reactions (3/3/3))
- What this enables and means going forward.
- We've added a whole new insect collection for you to complete. Access it via the Menaphos Collections Journal, which can be obtained from Assistant Librarian Subotai, if you don't already have it.
- A bumper selection of books has been added to the Menaphos Library. Many were written by community members as part of a recent writing competition. Have fun reading them!
- A Daily Challenge giver – Challenge Mistress Rashida - now stands near the Pharaoh statue by the Menaphos lodestone.
- There's now a fairy ring near the fountain behind the Grand Pyramid (code CKQ)
- There's a player-owned house portal in the Port district, behind Kags.
- Portmaster Kags now has additional transport options:
- Jalsavrah and the Exiled Kalphite Hive
- Nardah and the Heart
- The Dominion Tower
- The Pharaoh's Sceptre can teleport you directly to the Grand Pyramid. 'Jalkabir' is the pyramid's name for Pharaoh's sceptre/sceptre of the gods teleports.
- You can now earn the 'of Menaphos' title if you reach rank 10 in City Rep.
- An impling collector has been added on the west wide of the Pharaoh statue in Menaphos. This collector has the ability to toggle off the spawn of each type of impling and Guthixian butterflies around the city one you've unlocked the city reputation reward.
- As an additional reward for 'Phite Club, you can now travel from Sophanem to Menaphos via the bridge.
- Quest NPCs in Menaphos now have mini-map and world map icons.
- Azibo's Toy Stall is now open in the south-east corner of the Merchant district marketplace. He offers similar services to Diango.
- There's now a summoning obelisk in a house next to the marketplace.
- The desert swamp to the north east of Sophanem has been graphically updated.
- The 'gold' version of the Slayer Master title (provided you have already unlocked Silver version) – now reads red, not silver. To unlock this, you must complete the Slayer Codex and beat Morvran's platinum Rush of Blood challenge.
- Ka the cat has been re-homed near the Soul Altar.
- Multi-hit special attacks, such as the dragon dagger, dragon claws and Armadyl battlestaff special attacks, once again hit the correct number of times.
- Blocked tasks can now be given by a slayer master when the slayer mask for that type of creature is used.
- Hassan can now be seen on the Al-Kharid palace roof from multiple levels during Jack of Spades.
- Menaphos reputation now caps correctly on the tooltip.
- The chance to receive a soul devourer's soul has increased.
- There is now an increased chance to receive a creature's soul if the player has 200 million Slayer XP.
- A three-second delay has been added between catching souls for the Slayer Codex.
- Sumona now only assigns scorpions, desert lizards and crocodiles if the level requirement to kill them in the Sophanem slayer dungeon is met.
- An issue that was preventing the quest point total being updated correctly until logging out after completing the Crocodile Tears or 'Phite Club quests has been fixed.
- It is no longer possible to change action bars by clicking the number, or drag items to them while they are locked.
- The fail rate for crossing the vine agility shortcut at the herblore habitat has been lowered.
- Mammoth tusks are now a 100% drop from Acheron mammoths.
- Samid Gloves
- The anti-poison totem can now be worn in the pocket slot with no defensive stats and reducing poison damage by 50% except in Pyramid Plunder. It is also still possible to equip in the off-hand slot as before.
- The filters on the chat interface have been repositioned to better display them and increase usability.
- Vitalis Drop Threshold: Akin to how other boss pets drop, should the Vitalis drop from Vorago have a threshold of 1,000 to improve the chance of dropping every 1,000 Vorago kills? You can only vote if you have 1,000 Vorago kills, 18+ boss pets, Final Boss, or a Vitalis unlocked. 68% Yes, 31% No
- Attack Skill Pet: 30% Sifu, 11% Duke, 17% Monty, 13% Zauberschwert, 23% Tao, 3% I don’t mind (vote interface)
- Constitution Skill Pet: 21% Aimee, 5% Dr. Imp Payne, 5% HurTz, 35% Morty, 30% Eliza, 2% I don’t mind (vote interface)
Listener Questions and Discussion Topics
Question from Tyler
Given the recent constitution and attack pet polls (and ensuing drama), I'm curious which ones are your favorites. I personally really enjoy the idea of the red panda constitution pet, as it would cause the inclusion of a new type of animal to the runescape world, increasing the biodiversity of the cute little critters that we see running around behind players. Happy podcasting,
If you want to send us questions or discussion topics visit update.rsbandb.com/ask, call or text 571-57-BANDB (571-572-2632) or leave us a DM on Twitter @rsbandb
- Isarap - 120 Dungeoneering, July 5, 2017
- Ty_ler - 120 Invention, July 4, 2017
- Ali_the_wise - 99 Runecrafting, July 3, 2017
- Aerient - 99 Runecrafting, July 3, 2017
- Aerient - 99 Fletching, July 2, 2017
- A_seafarer - 99 Fishing, July 1, 2017
- Toragrai - 99 Thieving, June 30, 2017
- Episode Title: Unfinished Business - An Old Release Strategy
- Teaser: The Magist-- Unfinished Business, a change in the RuneScape release strategy, our thoughts on this huge U-Turn, and thoughts on the weeks patch notes and polls.
- Recorded Date: July 6, 2017
- Release Date: July 7, 2017
- Hosts: Shane, Tanis, and Mr. Bistro
- Duration: 2:03:06
- Editing Notes: We reconvened on Friday to record coverage on the release strategy update and unfinished business. This was placed at the beginning of the podcast. Also, see end of episode RE: Rollovers.